Scheduling a Wedding or Civil Union
For More Information
If you have any questions regarding obtaining a marriage license or civil union certificate, contact the County Clerk's Office at (309) 888-5190.
Making an Appointment
Marriages and civil unions are performed on Friday afternoons at 1:00 pm in the McLean County Law and Justice Center, located at 104 West Front Street in Bloomington, Illinois. Please note: You must have an appointment for the ceremony to be performed.
To schedule an appointment, please call (309) 888-5290 from 8:30 am to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm. Since there are limited openings for ceremonies, appointments usually need to be made 2-3 weeks in advance.
A $10 fee is to be paid in the McLean County Circuit Clerk's Office prior to the ceremony. Checks should be made payable to the Marriage Fund of the Circuit Court.
- McLean County judges do not perform ceremonies outside of the courthouse.
- Each couple will have their own ceremony that will last approximately 15 minutes.
- You are allowed to have flowers.
- You should bring two witnesses with you, but are not limited to only having two guests attend the ceremony. If you do not have witnesses, the court will supply them.
- Taking of pictures and videotaping of the ceremony is up to the individual discretion of the judge performing the ceremony.
Day of the Ceremony
Please plan to arrive half an hour early at 12:30 pm. Report to the fourth floor of the Circuit Clerk's Office to pay the $10 fee. You will then be directed to the courtroom where the ceremony will be performed. Report to the assigned courtroom and wait for the court clerk to call your name. The court clerk will then assist you in completing the necessary paperwork.
Items to bring with you to the ceremony include:
- Marriage license or civil union certificate (do not fill out until you check in with the court clerk)
- Receipt of payment for the $10 fee
- Two witnesses (optional)
- Rings (optional)
After the ceremony, the judge will return the completed license or certificate to the County Clerk's Office.