Frequently Asked Questions

What if I missed a court date?

If you miss a court date, you should contact your attorney. It is possible that a warrant will be ordered for your arrest. The Clerk is not at liberty to tell you if a warrant was ordered.

If you do not have an attorney and you missed a court date on a MISDEMEANOR case, you may come in Monday through Friday to appear before the judge and request a new court date. You will need to come to the office no later than 10:30 a.m. to request that your file be pulled and placed on the list. You will then appear before a judge at 11:00 a.m. or as soon as possible depending upon the progression of cases previously scheduled for Court.

If you missed a court date on a Felony case, you should contact your attorney for advice on how to best proceed. You should contact your attorney immediately upon becoming aware of the missed court date.

What if I move?

If you move while your case is pending or your probation/conditional discharge or other terms of sentence is still active and/or payments are still due and owing, you must inform the court of any change of address. It is a condition of bond that this be accomplished within 24 hours of any change of address. You can mail a written change of address to our office stating your new address. Please print your name and date of birth as well as all other information so the address can be entered correctly into the proper file(s). You may also come to our counter in person and fill out a change of address form. We will not accept a new address over the phone or by email.

How do I pay fines and costs?

You must complete the payment of fine and costs by the due date provided by the Judge. The Clerk’s office will accept cash, personal check, money order, or on-site payment by major credit card * (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover). You may make partial payments; however the full amount must be paid by the date provided by the Court. Please include your case number on the check/money order. You may bring in the payment(s) or mail it in any time before that due date. Please do not send cash through the mail.

* GovPayNet, an independent company, charges a non-refundable fee for its service. The Court and the Circuit Clerk’s office receive no part of the convenience fee.

Can I look at a file?

All Criminal Files are able to be reviewed in our office except those files that are impounded, suppressed or sealed.

Can I have a copy of a file?

Since the case files are public record, anyone can obtain a copy of a file upon payment of the copy fee provided that the file is not impounded, suppressed or sealed. Per case file, the copy fee is $2.00 for the first page, $.50 for each page up to 19 pages, then $.25 for each additional page. If you want the document certified, there will be an additional $6.00 charge.

How can I get a copy of my record?

If you know your case number, a copy can be obtained by requesting a copy from the Clerk and remitting the copy fee requested. If you do not know your case number and it does not appear on our public access site, you may request that the Clerk conduct a search of the court records.

Record searches are conducted for a fee of $6.00 per year for each individual requested. Requests may be made in person or by mail with the fee paid in advance. Please include name, any alias that may have been used including maiden name, date of birth and the years needed searched. The record search will be completed within 10 business days unless a file has to be retrieved from storage. We will not provide background check results by phone.

The public access website provided by our office is very helpful when a person wants to do their own search. If you do not need the Clerk to certify the results, using the public access site will save you time and money.

I posted a bond for a defendant. When do I get my money back?

If you posted bond for a Defendant in a Criminal case, you should read the Appearance Bond form that you signed when you posted the bond. At the bottom left hand corner it states:

Notice to person providing bail money other than the defendant:

 I hereby acknowledge that I have posted bond for the defendant named above. I further understand that if the defendant fails to comply with the conditions of this bond, that the Court shall enter an Order declaring the bond to be forfeited and used to pay costs, attorney’s fee, fines, child support obligations or other purposes authorized by the Court. I further understand upon disposition of the case, part or the entire bond may be used to pay fines, costs, fees restitution, child support or other financial obligations of the defendant.”

The above italicized language contained on the bond form explains that if the Defendant is sentenced to pay fine and fees, the bond money will be applied towards the fines, fees, restitution and other obligations owed by the defendant. This includes child support. The form also explains that even if fines and fees are not assessed by the Court, the Clerk shall retain 10% of the bond amount posted as bond costs. If there are funds to be refunded after satisfying the above requirements, they will be refunded to the person as directed on the bond form. The Circuit Clerk will mail the refund to the address listed on the bond form. If you move before the case is concluded, you must inform the Clerk of your new address.

If the defendant has not signed the bond form authorizing the return of the bond after all conditions have been met to a surety, the refund of any bond money will go to the defendant.

Where can I find information on expunging or sealing a court record?

View information on expungement or sealing of court records.